Home Page > Tyndrum

Tyndrum

(1873-1969)


Summary

Tyndrum was the temporary terminus of the line, from 1873 until 1877. The engine shed and turntable were moved here from the original terminus at Killin (i.e. Glenoglehead) in 1873. Tyndrum station was relocated on a higher elevation to the south of the previous station, and a new signal box was opened, in 1877 when the line was extended to Dalmally. The former terminus station became the goods yard. The signal box was replaced in 1891 and the lever frame replaced in 1918. The signal box and station had the suffix "Lower" added to their names in 1953. The crossing loop and signal box closed in 1969.


21 July 1873

Maj. Gen. Hutchinson (Board of Trade) reported on his inspection of the Callander & Oban Railway from Killin to Tyndrum. Working was to be by train staff, of which notice was required. All facing points should be set and locked in the reverse position from the existing setting, while a starting signal was necessary. A re-inspection would be necessary when the works were complete.


1 August 1873

Line opened between Killin (i.e. Glenoglehead) and Tyndrum. Signal box opened.


17 October 1873

Maj. Gen. Hutchinson (Board of Trade) re-inspected, finding that most of the requirements of 21 July 1873 had been complied with, but the points levers were not of a satisfactory character and the engineer had promised to substitute a different type.


8 January 1874

Maj. Gen. Hutchinson (Board of Trade) reported on re-inspection that points levers of a superior description to those before in use had been supplied, though even the present ones were somewhat deficient in weight and would require careful maintenance to ensure their working properly.


1877

Signal box replaced.


29 March 1877

Maj. Gen. Hutchinson (Board of Trade) reported on his inspection of the extension of the Callander & Oban Railway from Tyndrum to Dalmally. He stated that Tyndrum station had been repositioned and reconstructed. He required that facing points locking should be fixed to the through connections and that the siding points should be locked with rods and not with wires. Runaway points were required at the east end of the loop on the Down line.


1 April 1877

Line opened between Tyndrum and Dalmally.


1 September 1880

Col. Marindin (Board of Trade) reported visiting the site of a new siding not yet commenced, and stated that there would be no objection when it was put in if it was properly interlocked with the signal lever.


18 December 1891

Signal box replaced (new box 46 yards west of old box).


1 June 1892

Maj. Gen. Hutchinson (Board of Trade) reported inspecting the shortening of the loop for passenger trains crossing and lengthening of the Goods Loop Line, consisting of two runaway sidings, one on the Down Loop and the other on the Up Goods Loop. The signalling had also been remodelled and a new ground signal frame erected containing 20 levers, of which 3 were spare. There was also a key for locking the points leading to the goods line in the frame. He required the frame to be covered over and a diagram provided. The best position for the points at the Down end of the loop had been carefully considered, and as provision existed both upon the Up and Down Loop Lines for runaway vehicles, to lie as at present open for the Up Loop seemed best.


13 August 1892

It was reported to the Board of Trade that the passenger loop has been shortened and the goods loop lengthened; two runaway sidings constructed, one on the Down Loop Line and the other on the Up Loop Line; signalling remodelled and a new ground signal frame erected, containing 20 levers (17 working and 3 spare) and also a key for locking the points leading to the goods line.


28 July 1896

New loading bank siding brought into use.



Tyndrum (1916)
Tyndrum (1916)

17 October 1918

Lever frame replaced.



Tyndrum (1918)
Tyndrum (1918)

13 September 1922

Alterations. Details unknown.


May 1934

Alterations.


March 1949

Alterations. Details unknown (loop extended at west end?).


3 October 1951

Up West loading bank siding removed.


21 September 1953

Renamed "Tyndrum Lower" to distinguish it from the ex-LNE station on the West Highland Line.



Tyndrum Lower (1955)
Tyndrum Lower (1955)

15 May 1960

Alterations. Details unknown.


23 May 1960

Alterations. Details unknown.


March 1966

Yard sidings removed.



Tyndrum Lower (1967)
Tyndrum Lower (1967)

12 October 1969

Crossing loop abolished and signal box closed. Up loop retained as single line.