Home Page > Taynuilt
A crossing loop was established at Taynuilt when the railway opened in 1880, and it has remained in use ever since. Starting signals were not provided here until 1921. The signal box closed in 1986, but Taynuilt remained as a token station until RETB was commissioned in 1988.
The signal box is a listed building. On 9 March 1990, the structure was moved to the east end of the station, where it was intended to serve as a waiting room.
Col. Marindin (Board of Trade) reported on his inspection in connection with the extension of the line from Dalmally to Oban. There was one frame of 9 levers. Opening was refused due to incompleteness of work.
Board of Trade re-inspection. Opening sanctioned.
Line opened between Dalmally and Oban. Signal box opened.
New tablet instruments inspected by Board of Trade and reported without comment.
Later that year, it was reported that the tablet instruments referred to above now had additions, with two sets of instruments at each station, one set of round and one set of octagonal tablets, all lettered for the section applicable. There was the usual undertaking for the train staff system.
Renewal of bridge over River Nant (about 500 yards east of Taynuilt station) completed, following its destruction by flooding in November 1884. Trains will run at their usual speed.
Signal box replaced (new box 31 yards east of old box). Starting signals provided.
Distant signals repositioned.
Goods yard sidings put out of use.
Goods yard sidings reinstated.
Tablet instruments (for sections to Dalmally and Oban) replaced by key token instruments.
Semaphore distant signals replaced by reflectorised distant boards and AWS provided.
Loop converted to RETB specifications.