Home Page > Abandoned Proposals
Some proposed signalling alterations would have dramatically changed the signalling on parts of the railway but in the event were not carried out. A few of those schemes are described here.
In 1923, the LMS and LNER jointly proposed to simplify the arrangements at Crianlarich Junction. The signal box and crossing loop at Crianlarich Station, which had been abolished in 1921, would have been reinstated. Crianlarich East and West boxes would have been closed and replaced by ground frames. The track layout at the junction would have remained largely unchanged apart from the removal of the portion of line between Crianlarich East's number 9 and 11 points, including the diamond crossing.
After the Second World War, the LMS developed new proposals for the rationalisation of Crianlarich Junction. Its 1945 proposal envisaged the closure of Crianlarich West box. Crianlarich East box would have received a new lever frame and been renamed "Crianlarich".
|Crianlarich (1945 proposal)|
The 1946 scheme proposed a new signal box at Crianlarich Junction with a 45-lever BS (REC) frame to replace the East and West boxes. The points between the Down and Up Branch lines would have been motor operated.
|Crianlarich (1946 proposal)|
Under an alternative option, the former Up Branch line would have been used for running moves in both directions. The former Down Branch line would have been retained as a siding loop, with trap points installed at both ends. The connection at the West Highland Line end would have been operated from a ground frame.
A scheme proposed in 1976 would have seen the whole line from Crianlarich to Oban worked as a single One Train Working section, a distance of almost 42 miles. This would have entailed the closure of the signal boxes at Dalmally, Taynuilt and Oban. Three new colour light signals would have been installed on the Oban line at Crianlarich, controlled from Crianlarich signal box on the West Highland Line. The crossing loop and siding at Dalmally would have been removed, with just the Up platform retained. The Pass of Brander stone signals would have remained, their alarm circuits transferred to Crianlarich signal box. The existing ground frames at Connel Ferry would be released by the train staff. The track layout at Oban would have been altered, and all passenger trains would have arrived at and departed from Platform 4.
|Crianlarich (1976 proposal)|
|Taynuilt (1976 proposal)|
|Oban (1976 proposal)|
The less severe proposal of 1978 was to introduce One Train Working between Taynuilt and Oban only. Oban signal box would have been closed and the track layout simplified. The signalling at Taynuilt would have been altered along similar lines to what was actually implemented there in 1983 but with different track circuiting provision.
|Oban (1978 proposal)|