Home Page > Pass of Brander
The Pass of Brander is home to one of the line's most notable signalling installations, the stone signals. John Anderson devised a system to warn drivers of fallen rocks. Stone signals were also provided at Craig-na-Cailleach. In 1893, a new crossing loop was provided in the Pass of Brander to split the section between Loch Awe and Taynuilt. It was removed in 1966.
For a detailed description of the stone signals, see here.
First section of boulder screen brought into use.
Boulder screen extended at both ends.
|Pass of Brander (1883)|
Awe Crossing signal box opened. Stone signal 10 repositioned.
Awe Crossing Down Home signal arm removed. Stone signal arm on same post now also acts as Awe Crossing Down Home signal.
Falls of Cruachan station opened.
|Pass of Brander (1893)|
Boulder screen extended at west end.
|Pass of Brander (1913)|
Falls of Cruachan station closed.
Awe Crossing signal box closed. Stone signals indicated in Dalmally and Taynuilt signal boxes.
|Pass of Brander (1966)|
Stone signals brought back into operation (following conversion to upper quadrant arms?).
Falls of Cruachan station re-opened.
|Pass of Brander (1988)|
Signal arms painted with reflective paint.
Renewal of lever posts for stone signals 5, 7, 8, 9 and 14.
Renewal of lever posts for stone signals 9 and 12.
Vegetation work affecting stone signals.