Home Page > Oban Goods Junction

Oban Goods Junction

(1880-1969)


Summary

Oban (Goods) Junction was where the line to Oban goods yard diverged from the main line. The signal box here did not become a block post until 1881 when the line to Oban Station was doubled. A 'skeleton' semaphore arm was installed here in 1896, the only example on the whole line. The signal box was replaced by the LMS in 1929 and it closed in 1969.


24 May 1880

Col. Marindin (Board of Trade) reported on his inspection in connection with the extension of the line from Dalmally to Oban. There was a signal cabin here with 5 levers.


1 July 1880

Line opened between Dalmally and Oban. Signal box opened (not a block post).


1881

Upgraded to block post when line doubled to Oban Station. (2 May?)


2 June 1881

Col. Marindin (Board of Trade) reported on his inspection of the alterations to the existing cabin and signals completed on 2 May 1881. He reported that 800 yards of single line had been converted to double, which had effected a great improvement. There were 16 (15?) working levers in the cabin, correctly interlocked, but no.12 should precede nos. 2 and 6.


31 May 1887

The Board of Trade authorised the use of a banking key from Oban Goods Junction towards Glencruitten Summit, but not for passenger trains.


14 January 1896

Alterations.


29 February 1896

Lt. Col. Yorke (Board of Trade) reported on his inspection of a new crossover road enabling engines to run from the engine sheds direct to either platform and also the provision of new signals relating to movements of engines for shunting purposes. There were 16 levers, all in use.


23 June 1904

Alterations associated with Oban Station extension.



Oban Goods Junction (1917)
Oban Goods Junction (1917)

21 June 1922

Alterations. Details unknown.


1929

Signal box replaced.


6 August 1947

Alterations. Details unknown.



Oban Goods Junction (1955)
Oban Goods Junction (1955)

3 December 1957

Down Home signal replaced.



Oban Goods Junction (1960)
Oban Goods Junction (1960)

4 May 1969

Signal box closed. Connection between the single line and the goods yard removed.