Home Page > Kentallen

Kentallen

(1903-1966)


Summary

There was a crossing loop and signal box at Kentallen throughout the lifetime of the Ballachulish branch.


20 August 1903

Line opened between Connel Ferry and Ballachulish. Signal box opened.


24 August 1903

Lt. Col. Yorke (Board of Trade) reported on his inspection of the new Ballachulish Branch. The new signal box at Kentallen contained 20 working and 4 spare levers. The siding on the Down side required to be lengthened. Overrun sidings had been provided at each end of the loop, with facing points. If this had been done with the intention of permitting two trains to enter the station simultaneously from opposite directions, the interlocking of the points and home signals would require alteration as there was a chance of two trains meeting on the same platform line. He did not understand why, for some reason, trailing points had been inserted in each loop line. No sidings were provided in continuation of them, nor were the points connected to the signal box, nor were they in use. Sidings should be provided and the points connected to the signal box, or they should be removed.


20 May 1904

Lt. Col. Yorke (Board of Trade) re-inspected and found that due to the requirements of 24 August 1903, the cabin now contained 14 working and 6 spare levers and 4 spaces. Since his last inspection, a level crossing had been made across the line at the north end of the station, giving access to the steam boat pier. It was regarded by the Railway as an occupation crossing, the gates not being controlled from the signal box or interlocked with the signals. This was not satisfactory and the Company should therefore consider whether they are to bolt the gates from the signal box by a lever interlocked with the signals.



Kentallen (1928)
Kentallen (1928)

October 1940

Alterations. Details unknown.


29 March 1966

Signal box closed. Line closed.