Home Page > Ben Cruachan Quarry

Ben Cruachan Quarry

(1885-1916)


Summary

From 1885 until 1916, a branch line connecting with the Callander and Oban Railway reached a granite quarry high on the side of Ben Cruachan, its route incorporating two complete zigzags. The junction lay within the Dalmally to Loch Awe tablet section, at the 49 milepost. The quarry company's engine worked all traffic between the quarry and Loch Awe station.


19 June 1885

Col. Marindin (Board of Trade) reported on his inspection of the Ben Cruachan Quarry Branch, the points of which were locked by one of Stevens' instruments, which could only be opened by the train tablet for the section in which the junction was situated.



Ben Cruachan Quarry (1885)
Ben Cruachan Quarry (1885)

May 1916

Siding closed.